Thursday, March 26, 2009

Signs of the Past Part 2


At a later point this building will come into perspective. but meanwhile we have always heard of the great industrial engine which Troy was in the 1800's. Doing research for my bell project led me to contact the Rensselaer County historian who suggested that I visit the Burden Iron Works Museum billed as the "Nerve Center fo the Silicon Valley of the Nineteenth Century and Headquaters of the Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway"

This building is about the size of the New County Court House in Fonda.It used to be the main office building .

Out side the Musem is this crucible. Iron was transported over tracks inside th efactory then was poured in to molds
Some closeups










5 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Wow, Phil. Great signs of the past. The Museum looks interesting. Certainly a good reminder of all that local history waiting for us to rediscover!

trishalyn said...

Wow, Phil (my words exactly before I even saw Jayme's comment)!!!
Thanks for the history lesson. I loved your photos and appreciate all the hard work you did to complete this assignment. Great job!!! :-)

Linda said...

Well, my first thought was "wow, Phil" too. Great images and research. Thanks for the mini-lesson.

Bridget said...

wow phil ,good investigation and reporting(also some very interesting photos.)
nice work.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Wonderful posts in the last few days. Such a great history lesson! If a position opens up I would think you would make a terrific county historian.